How to renew
Continuing professional development (CPD) and HCPC registration
Your personal details and registration

Changing your contact details
The information we hold
Dual registration
Registration of Sonographers

Fees and payments
Professional indemnity
Promoting your registration
Returning to practice
Your queries / FAQs
Your online account
Meeting our standards
Guidance on social media
Raising and escalating concerns in the workplace
Fitness to practise
Appeals process
Leaving the Register
Practising outside the UK
Get involved
Home > Your registration > Your personal details and registration > Dual registration

Dual registration

Frequently asked questions about dual registration

1. What is dual registration?

Dual registration occurs when an individual is registered under more than one ‘part’ of the HCPC Register, or with two different regulatory bodies. There are currently 16 parts to the HCPC Register – one part for each profession we regulate. The reason we use the term ‘parts’ is because there is more than one protected title for some professions.

For example, if an individual is registered as a paramedic and a physiotherapist, they are dual registered and must pay two registration fees. If an individual is registered as an arts therapist and a music therapist they are not dual registered as these protected titles belong to the same part of the register and only one registration fee is paid.

2. In what situations would I need to have dual registration with the HCPC?

If you are practising using more than one protected title that fall under different parts of the HCPC Register you must be dual registered.

For example, if a registered physiotherapist undertook further study to become a qualified chiropodist, they would need to be dual registered in order to practise as both a physiotherapist and a chiropodist.

3. Is it possible to be registered with two different regulatory bodies?

Yes. For example, individuals who practice as a registered nurse and occupational therapist must be on both the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Register and the HPC Register.

4. What CPD do I have to undertake if I am dual registered?

Our CPD standards require registrants to undertake CPD that is relevant to their current or future practice. If you are dual registered with the HCPC we would not expect you to undertake two different lots of CPD for our purposes, as many of the activities you undertaken may be relevant to both of your registrations. However, you could be selected for CPD audit under either or both professions. If you were audited, you would need to explain in your CPD profile what your current work situation is and how your CPD is relevant to the work you are undertaking.

5. I am a physiotherapist and have extended my scope of practice to include some services that have traditionally been provided by an occupational therapist. What does this mean for my registration?

The HCPC recognises that it is common for a professional’s scope of practice to change or expand over time and that this may include services that are traditionally performed by another registered profession. It is the individual’s responsibility to ensure that they have undertaken the relevant education and / or training and have the necessary skills and knowledge to perform their roles safely and effectively. This is reflected in standard 6 of our Standards of conduct, performance and ethics.

The HCPC also expects the extended practice to be within the scope of the profession. For example, it would be inappropriate for a radiographer to perform cardiac surgery.

In the example given in the question above, the individual would only need to be registered once as a physiotherapist, as long as they do not practise using the title ‘occupational therapist’. It is also an offence to ‘intend to deceive’ the public by implying that you a member of a registered profession if you are not. We expect that members of the public should be informed of the registration status of a professional.

If a complaint was received about a registrant’s extended scope of practice, the HCPC would consider whether it was within the scope of the profession and whether the individual had the requisite knowledge and skills to deliver the services they were seeking to provide.

Print  Print page