How to renew
Continuing professional development (CPD) and HCPC registration
Your personal details and registration
Fees and payments
Professional indemnity
Promoting your registration
Returning to practice
Your queries / FAQs
Your online account
Meeting our standards
Guidance on social media
Raising and escalating concerns in the workplace
Fitness to practise

What is the purpose of the fitness to practise process?
The types of cases we can consider
What happens if a concern is raised about me?
What to expect from us if a concern is raised about you
What should I do?
The investigations process
What happens if the case is referred to a hearing?
Before the final hearing
At the final hearing
After the final hearing
Interim Orders

Appeals process
Leaving the Register
Practising outside the UK
Get involved
Home > Your registration > Fitness to practise > What should I do?

What should I do?

If you are a member of a union or a professional body, you should contact them. They know our fitness to practise process well and are a good source of advice and may be able to offer legal support if you need it. Or, you can find your own legal advice.

Communicating with us during the investigation process

Communicating with us, especially with the help of an adviser (see above), will make sure that your views are heard. How you respond and react to any concerns raised about you are important factors in the panel’s assessment of whether your fitness to practise is impaired.

Your early involvement in the fitness to practise process helps us to know whether there are any other issues, such as health concerns, which may need to be taken into account and may have an influence on whether a full contested final hearing is necessary. In many cases this is likely to significantly reduce the stress of the situation, especially if it is agreed a concern can be dealt with without a full contested hearing.

To make sure you receive correspondence from us, please tell us about any changes to your address.

Emotional support

There are support organisations, such as the Samaritans, which can give you confidential emotional support if you need it. This may be available through your union or professional body .

You may also want to speak to your family or colleagues.

Can I continue to practise?

You can continue to practise while we investigate your case unless a panel placed an interim order on you preventing you from practising or which places restrictions on your practice.

You cannot remove yourself from our Register while there are fitness to practise proceedings outstanding against you.

Print  Print page