|Home > Media and Events
> Press room
Chiropodist / podiatrist suspended on grounds of misconduct
15/03/2017 - 11:49
Chiropodist / podiatrist suspended
Elaine Miller (CH16235) has been suspended from the HCPC Register for a period of twelve months on the grounds of misconduct whilst employed as a chiropodist / podiatrist with South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust.
A panel of the HCPC Conduct and Competence Committee heard that Miss Miller’s failings related to six patients, for which she recorded on System 1 patient records that she had conducted a variety of tests during their treatments when she had not.
The Panel further heard that Miss Miller failed to record on Patient 3’s record that they had suffered a haemorrhage during treatment.
Panel Chair Stephen Fash commented:
“In fabricating patient records Miss Miller has acted dishonestly and put patients at risk. The Panel has been provided with no evidence of insight or remediation. Accordingly, it was the judgment of the Panel that there is a risk that Miss Miller would repeat her misconduct. Her dishonest actions were very serious and have brought the profession into disrepute. She has breached the trust placed in her by both her patients and her employer.”
The Panel ordered for the name of Elaine Miller to be suspended from the HCPC Register for a period of twelve months.
Miss Miller was neither present nor represented at the hearing.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. Full details of this hearing will be posted online here: http://www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints/hearings/index.asp?id=7827&month=3&year=2017&EventType=H
3. Information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings can be found on the HCPC website here: www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
4. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
5. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. To see the full list of protected titles please see www.hcpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles
Chiropodists / podiatrists
Hearing aid dispensers
Operating department practitioners
Prosthetists / orthotists
Social workers in England
Speech and language therapists
6. The HCPC regulates social workers in England. Social workers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separately regulated by the relevant Care Council in that country.
44 (0)20 7840 9806