|Home > Media and Events
> Press room
Social worker struck off on grounds of misconduct
14/03/2017 - 16:27
Social worker struck off
Gordon Vincent Beech (SW20090) has been struck off the HCPC Register on the grounds of misconduct whilst employed as a social worker for Warrington Borough Council.
A panel of the HCPC Conduct and Competence Committee heard that Mr Beech was responsible for numerous errors, including not conducting and / or recording core group meetings, not carrying out required visits to children subject to Child Protection plans or making records of the visits, not completing adequate parenting assessments and carrying out visits where he did not see the child alone.
The Panel further heard that after leaving Warrington Borough Council Mr Beech contacted Person A, the father of a service user, and told him he “felt as low as a snake’s testicles” or words to that effect. He also wrote to a District Judge regarding Family C when his professional involvement with the family had ceased.
Panel Chair Donald Brown commented:
“There was a total lack of insight by Mr Beech. When challenged, he responded by justifying his conduct. These are serious matters which undermine public confidence in the profession and the Regulator, and Mr Beech presents a risk to the public in the future.”
The Panel ordered for the name of Gordon Vincent Beech to be struck off the HCPC Register.
Mr Beech was present for part of the hearing and unrepresented throughout.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Health and Care Professions Council is an independent regulator set up by the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001. The HCPC keeps a register for 16 different health and care professions and only registers people who meet the standards it sets for their training, professional skills, behaviour and health. The HCPC will take action against professionals who do not meet these standards or who use a protected title illegally.
2. Full details of this hearing will be posted online here: http://www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints/hearings/index.asp?id=7841&month=3&year=2017&EventType=H
3. Information about the HCPC’s fitness to practise proceedings can be found on the HCPC website here: www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
4. Anyone can contact us and raise a concern about a professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers, the police and other professionals. For more information visit www.hcpc-uk.org/complaints
5. The HCPC currently regulates the following 16 professions. Each of these professions has one or more ‘protected titles’. Anyone who uses one of these titles must register with the HCPC. To see the full list of protected titles please see www.hcpc-uk.org/aboutregistration/protectedtitles
Chiropodists / podiatrists
Hearing aid dispensers
Operating department practitioners
Prosthetists / orthotists
Social workers in England
Speech and language therapists
6. The HCPC regulates social workers in England. Social workers in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are separately regulated by the relevant Care Council in that country.
44 (0)20 7840 9806